Friday 10 October 2014

The Scotland Skirt

So basically my work here is done. Importantly I've taught my students what a Kilt is and what Tartan is, I've also been educating them on what beheading means as well as showing them a video on Morris dancing - it's been a very comprehensive week in my 'Clothing lessons'. So now that i've shown them a man in a Kilt and told them exactly what it's called, prior to this it was being referred to as the 'Scotland skirt'! I've also been telling them about tartan. I feel like my Scottish legacy is well underway - tourism Scotland should be paying me!

So as well as my students learning, my students have taught me something new this week. They have taught me that 'ya tao' is the Chinese word for braces (they featured in my lesson on clothing and accessories). Another word to add to my growing vocabulary list (not that I can actually remember any of it yet!).

I've quite enjoyed teaching  this week - possibly due to the fact that the students are all wearing the clothes we are talking about means I can use them as props which is always fun. Their terrified faces when I ask them to stand up to (because they are wearing the item of clothing we are talking about) is also quite funny. One girl took off her check patterned jacket because I kept referring to it (i'm not quite sure how she was wearing it in this heat in the first place...suffering for fashion).

Another class tried to tell me that a material that clothes are made of is leaves!! I wasn't entirely sure if they were serious to begin with or if it was actually a Chinese word instead of English. I eventually worked out that they were talking about their Chinese ancestors who made their clothes out of leaves - it was a fair point (I was quite impressed) but not quite what I was going for in terms of modern clothing.

Life here in China never fails to entertain.

G x

No comments:

Post a Comment