Sunday 19 October 2014

Local foreigner

So I feel like i'm being gradually excepted by the local community and my colleagues as more than a foreign novelty.

This past week I feel like i'm being acknowledged as being a local resident rather than just a passing tourist. More teachers than every before have acknowledged me and smiled as we walked past each other in the corridors of the school (maybe it's because I always pointedly look at them whilst saying 'Ni hao' (hello) and smiling) - maybe my tactic of being friendly to everyone I walk past is working!

The security guards at the school gate are endlessly entertaining. One of them won't stop shouting 'hello' at me until I also say hello back (even though i've already greeted him in Chinese first).

I was teaching a bunch of older male teachers the other day the word 'bald' the other day - obviously having bald friends is also a source of entertainment here!

But truely, I feel my greatest moment of acceptance are the gate and security guards around my building happily greeting me with recognition rather than confusion  and curiosity.

Saying all this though the bus driver the other day took a good few seconds to register the fact that a non-chinese girl was getting on his bus the other day. One women also nearly crashed her car because she was so busy watching me cross the road - maybe I should wear a t-shirt saying 'keep your eyes on the road' (in chinese obviously).

Life in China is never dull

G x

No comments:

Post a Comment