Saturday 20 June 2015

Dragon Boat Festival

This weekend is the National Dragon Boat Festival, which means another holiday weekend for the people of China. While we had hoped to see some of the traditional dragon boat racing, which only happens in southern China, we had to settle for holiday atmosphere and the traditional decorations. Apparently there is no racing this weekend, it's happening at a different time but we did see some dragon boats and their crews doing a little parade down a narrow river (some expert steering was required) so that kept me happy. During this festival it is traditional to eat Zong Zi, which is sticky rice cooked in bamboo leaves but after our lunch of duck, noodles and fried rice I was too full to contemplate anything else which is slightly disappointing on the cultural front but not the end of the world. This is my very last weekend in Foshan so it was nice to spend it with friends and witness an important event in the Chinese calendar. I think i've managed to see all the Chinese festivals his year which isn't bad going really.



Our final group photo

After my little bit of culture I headed home to pack all my worldy goods into my big black suitcase ready for the journey home. Its going to be hard leaving my little corner of China tomorrow. We've had some good times and I'm going to be sad to shut the door for the last time...

G x

No comments:

Post a Comment