Monday 15 June 2015

Classroom antics

We after all this time I'm no stranger to the sometimes bizarre and always unexpected extracurricular activities that pop up in Chinese classrooms but recently the strange activities seemed to have reached an all time high.

For instance the dwarf hamster (happily snuggled up in it's cage) that was produced, mid lesson, from under one of my pupils' desks one day. Obviously this distracted me ever so slightly and when I asked her why she had her pet with her response to me was "be quiet you'll wake it up". That was me told, but it didn't really didn't answer my question, especially when another pupil announced that they aren't allowed pets in school! On the plus side that class now all know what a hamster is. Definitely more successful than the time I tried to explain what a hedgehog was with a blackboard drawing that ended up looking like a beaver had run into a wall. Drawing is not my talent, as my pupils have learnt on various occasions throughout the year. Mind you my drawings of fireplaces and lighthouses have been quite successful in comparison! Inanimate objects are obviously my strength.

There has also been an empty wine bottle sitting on the windowsill in one of the classrooms, how I got there I can't even imagine...

Handy crafts also seem a popular classroom past-time, amoungst them there has been a girl doing a celebrity cross-stitch using neon thread (i'm not sure that would make anyone look good), a boy building a battleship - I didn't even notice until I started getting slightly over-excited off the glue fumes - and origami is also a popular one. I also walk into classrooms and there are regularly various picnics happening: full blown meals requiring chopsticks, fruits being chopped and peeled with knives and posh European chocolate are often being quaffed in the 10 minute break. It doesn't half stink up the classrooms.

One of the most bizarre things I regularly have to stop are girls attempting to cut their own hair mid- lesson. Why they do this I have no idea.

G x

No comments:

Post a Comment