Thursday 13 November 2014

Wallace and Gromit save the day

So in order to earn my holiday over the last week I had to work all weekend, the weekend before (it's just how it works here). I decided to use the old teacher trick of putting on a video. Let me just say that this was not just me skiving out of having to design a whole new fantastic lesson for just 6 classes but a conscious effort to introduce the children of China to British culture and entertainment (can you smell the bullshit?)! But basically I wasn't going to waste time planning an entire lesson and then trying to get 6 classes to willingly partake in it during the weekend - that would have just ruined everyone's weekend even more! And they've been nagging at me to show them a video so this ticked that box.

So I decided that it was about time I introduced the teenagers of China to the British institution that is Wallace and Gromit! I had all four short films on offer and they absolutely loved it! I wasn't sure if they'd get it or not but it seems that Wallace and Gromit can bridge both cultural and language barriers - i've never heard them so silent and engaged for so long! They even got most of the humour. Even the video questions afterwards went ok....

So basically this is a public announcement to any teacher who has to work the weekend - Wallace and Gromit is the way forward!

G x

No comments:

Post a Comment